I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Linkee-poo says you should stop, hey, what's that sound

John Joseph Adams is taking a survey of readers of Lightstream and Fantasy.

Jim Hines with some thoughts on convention panels. I'm still somewhat of a newbie when it comes being on panels, but I've also been thrown into the deep end when it comes to them (first panel I was on I ended up being the moderator, 5 panel I was on was with Cory Doctorow). But, yes, this. Although, I hadn't heard that authors had egos. That's a new one to me. Also, I'll second his last point, GoH should be working the con for all it's worth (strap them to a hand cart if you have to, but get them to the next panel on time). I mean, that shouldn't be all they're doing. Some time to mingle and be with their friends is nice. But if it's the Green Room or the panel rooms, it should be more time in the panel rooms.

Sean Craven with some thoughts on OWS that you probably haven't heard yet.

There's a lot on the wires about the various OWS demonstrations and police actions. I don't have enough time to make sense of most of it, but 1) if you engage in Civil Disobedience you should expect to be arrested for it (if not maced, gassed, clubbed, water cannoned, etc). 2) the police will act vigorously and with overwhelming force, the intent is to convince you that "resistance is futile", it's part of their job. Arguments about 1st Amendment rights not withstanding. 3) When the court orders something, no, the Mayor doesn't have the right to refuse, in either direction (unless they're willing to engage in Civil Disobedience themselves, see point 1). 4) Yes, it's approaching the end of the 2 month time limit, we all expected this to happen so the Powers That Be can claim you didn't make your point. 5) Once someone is in custody, there's no reason to be dickish about it.

There appears to be a new bill making its way through Congress (no doubt giving an awful rendition of the "I'm just a bill" song) called SOPA. I don't know much about it (yet), but there seems to be great concern over it. I'm so glad we're focused on jobs and the economy.

No comments: