I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, January 31, 2010

War and rumors of war

Okay, so here's what happened. For the past few weeks there had been plenty of closed door meetings. Plenty of late evening closed door meetings. Rumors were flying. The pace of work on the large presses had slowed.

And then the big meeting on Friday where they announced the bank had foreclosed, and they were shuttering the business. A rival company had purchased some of the assets and would be hiring some people back to handle the client's work. We were to stop, pack up, and leave the office. One more paycheck, all benefits end on the 31st. The boss took me aside as I was about to leave and said I should apply to the new company.

So that's what happened on Friday.

Spent Friday night canceling doctor's appointments. Not like without healthcare and not a firm commitment of employment that I could afford the tests and subsequent appointments. Then I updated my personal resume and attempted to send the resume to the email published on the new company's website. Several bounce backs later and I sent it to their general email address. Today I also faxed it to them, just in case.

A quick look at various job sites show poor pickins. Need to get registered with the unemployment office and the various temp agencies. Also need to put my head on straight.

Right now I'm feeling a little inertia. A sluggish start to a job search isn't what's needed. Fighting to keep positive, struggling with the thoughts of putting to much hope into getting a job with the new company.

On the plus side is that I might be able to focus on writing. For me, I'll still need a day job, so just focusing on writing isn't going to be practical. And finding a job is best done when it's given the attention, devotion, and time as a full time job.

4 comments:

Ken McConnell said...

My thoughts are with you Steve, I know you'll come out ahead after this is over.

Rick said...

What rotten luck, Steve. Sorry to hear about the closing, but I hope you find something even better. You deserve it. You're a talented guy who's gone through a lot.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best, Steve.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Camille, Ken and Rick.