I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Linkee-poo swelters in new found Summer

Ta-Nehisi Coates speaks the truth about Esquire's 75 books men should read and all other collections/anthologies of writing that exclude both women and authors of color, "Do not read books by women to murder your inner sexist pig. Do it because Edith Wharton can fucking write. It's that simple." Yes (cringes on how few books by women authors I have on my shelves). (Grokked from PNH and Making Light)

Eric discourses on security versus "whatever." There's a lot to chew on in that post. Some of my nieces and nephews wonder why Uncle Steve, who is one of the most internet savvy people they know, doesn't play to much on Facebook, or LinkedIn, or has a cell phone without GPS, or any of the things they take for granted as background technology. Well, one of the reasons is I understand data-mining and saw some of these techs as the trove of information they became (or my constant refrain, "If you didn't want people to know/see you that way, why did you post it in Facebook?") I think there's a perception of "it's only out there for the people I deem it should be out there for." I really hate to tell you, but even for those people who require being friends/linked/etc before you can see anything about them (like their Tweets), it's pretty easy to connect the dots these days.

The New Republic on the importance of governments, the public good. "Keep (the Upper Big Branch Mine explosion and Massey Energy's systematic failures and avoidances) firmly in mind whenever you hear conservatives’ ritual denunciation of 'burdensome, job-killing regulations.'" Yes, this. Or to put it another way, if it weren't for government regulation we'd still be insulating our homes with asbestos. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

James Alan Gardner talks about viewpoint selectivity. This is actually about cognitive selectivity (which I liked to last week, grokked from Jay Lake) and verisimilitude. Again, these are two things every writer should be able to do. And it is one of the big differences between the genres of Romance (not the genre of Romance, but Romance what defines all novel length fictions).

Because lying on any side is abhorrent, especially when it's from the side on the right. Given that I lectured two little old ladies this past weekend on the intricacies of the HCR, it's bad when my own side lies about what Paul Ryan is trying to do to Medicare. It's bad enough, folks, we don't need to embellish it. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

And because I'll want to reference it later (off line), the Slactivist makes with the snark about the fluffle over President Obama's not issuing a sheepskin about Easter. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Tweet of my Heart: neiltyson: .@SnarkyScuffary My favorite part about having a PhD, you ask? Knowing how to tell when both sides of an argument are wrong.

No comments: