I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, June 13, 2011

Crow, it's what's for dinner

Eating lot of crow with the various fallout regarding the class. Sigh. Too much work for a 3 credit hour course that I could sleep walk through and that isn't directly related to the major.

This class has the feeling of too much "make work" to make it seem like a real class. Sort of like overcompensating for too small an idea. Like midlife crisis guys driving Ferraris. Seriously, it's a 100 level speech course.

But now we'll put the life on hold, again, and soldier on. If this was for a majors class, I wouldn't feel so bitter about it. Also up, WTF is a 3 credit hour course doing taking up 4 nights a week for 8 weeks?

Edit 06-13 4:15pm Just caught a break. Was checking schedules, etc, writing down numbers so I could get through registration easier (as I needed to get an override slip to have the prof sign) when I saw someone dropped the class I wanted in. So went into the online registration tool and dropped my other (backup) class (8-10pm) and registered for the earlier class. Now at least I don't have to go through the override system and get signatures and have two or three trips to registration. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

2 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

"WTF is a 3 credit hour course doing taking up 4 nights a week for 8 weeks?" Don't know if the courses are normally spread out over 14-15 weeks during regular semesters, but you have to double up the contact hours for short or summer classes. So a class that meets for 90 minutes 2×/week has to either meet for 180 minutes 2×/week or 90 minutes 4×/week to make the total number of contact hours.

Dr. Phil

Steve Buchheit said...

Dr. Phil, normally 16 weeks of courses (15 class, 1 week finals).

Fortunately for me, I was wrong. We only meet Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Slightly better, but Tuesdays are meeting nights.

In the syllabus we get 2 unexcused absences. I tried to explain why I wouldn't be there tonight (council meeting). Prof turned me off as I tried to say how sorry I was I had to miss the 2nd class. She explained that I got 2 absences, and if I was a good enough student, I could probably get one or two more and then turned me off. I stood there giggling thinking, "What was it you just got explaining the class was about? I'm sharing that I don't care that I get 2 free, it's still a Bad Thing(tm) for me to miss class and I want you to know I don't have a choice."