There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Writerly Linkee-poo

Came back to work and had over 600 posts I haven't read. You all have been busy. I feel like such a slacker, I've barely made one post a day (and sometimes not even that). I'm catching up. Somethings I'm just going to skip (sorry, only so many hours in the day).

Justine Larbalestier is at it again. She's spilling the beans with a whole bunch of writing advice. And better yet, she's taking requests. I always go for Freebird myself, but hey, it's up to you. Here's some link-love for her posts; Choosing POV, and Generating Ideas, and a long one on How to Get Unstuck.

It's something about new writers, we just can't get enough advice, I guess. Or maybe it's just me and I'm overly interested in how other people do it. And, again, just because it's advice from a published author doesn't mean it'll 1) be appropriate, 2) answer your deepest needs and 3) might not work for you. Justine, however, is very entertaining as she gives you her take on the subjects.

Jeff VenderMeer is doing a massive cleaning of his house and sharing some of his finds over on Ecstatic Days. There's some juvenilia going on, so be sure not to miss it. He also finished up his 60-in60 pieces (about reading the Penguin Great Ideas books).

Matt Stagg over at Enter the Octopus is giving some publicity advice. And don't forget to memorize that last paragraph. Really. Very good advice.

Rick Ferrel is continuing with his dragons of creativity series all about release our inner writers. If you're not reading it you should be. Also, please note, to "slay the dragon" and pass the test you must give into them, not actually kill the dragon.

Several people I know have had book releases lately; S.C. Butler, Josh Palmatier, Jim Hines, and Karl Schroeder. I know I'm missing a few people. Sorry. But if you're looking for some good reading to fill those long winter nights, you don't have any excuses now. And most of these are mmpb (mass market paperback) releases, so it won't cost you an arm or a leg (maybe just a few hairs).

Oh, and there's about a gazillion contests out there to win books. If you're surfing you've found some of them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go read that "Unstuck" post (although I think she's talking about sticky plots, and that's something Dawn just doesn't help with, sticky pots on the other hand it works wonders).

2 comments:

mattw said...

That Jim Hines book sounds pretty good. He had a bunch of contests linked on his site to win one. *fingers crossed*

I'll have to check out some of those other links. The dragon slaying sounds interesting.

Has anyone found the secret for fitting more hours in the day yet?

Steve Buchheit said...

MattW, that's why I do the links, to help people discover other people they might be interested in (or to show the link love for others). And I keep looking for that switch that puts 26 hours in a day, I haven't found it yet. Either that or I'll order a Time Turner from the Noble Collection. That might work.