I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, July 10, 2009

Band on the run

Still running like mad. Spent last night doing councilman thingies and getting my blood pressure up. Plus this weekend (started yesterday) is our neighborhood garage sale, so half my house is spread out over the front lawn. Fortunately the sister-in-law is up helping us out. I should get supplies to continue work on the extra part of the rain barrel project, and pipe to redo the gutter drainage (extending it) so we can get this pile of dirt outa my yard. But I'm feeling burnt at both ends. And next week we'll see some of the extension of what I worked on last night.

Chapter 15 is dribbling out. I get about 50-100 words a day (and haven't had much evening time to work on it). Normally when this happens I'd put in a place holder and get to what I can get out fast. But I wanted to work on this in order (mostly) and don't want to skip. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot though.

I have the flights and the room for VP (and the time off). Now I need to get the car, organize between the airport and the island (probably do closer to time) and get my brain back in gear. And I need sleep. I need a lot of sleep. That may be why the novel is coming slowly.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Amazing how lack of sleep screws up the writing, isn't it, Steve? It really, really sounds like you could use a vacation.

Steve Buchheit said...

Rick, I've found there is a fine line between not fully refreshed and exhausted that I do my best work. Sort of like being stuck in a perpetual twilight state. To much deprivation and I get all milky brained, to little and the gremlins begin their shrieking.