I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Everything I needed to know I learned in 6 years of college (except everything else), Part 1

Okay, well let's start with a meta lesson I learned in college. It's not to late to change your mind and switch directions. And if you do, there is a price to be paid.

My first major in college was Computer Programing, Math Option (that's the hard one). I was pretty good at both (programming and math). Hell, I won a full ride Air Force scholarship for it. I was admitted to the Honors Program and choose an eclectic alternative general studies program including a minor in Creative Writing. Then came my sophomore year and my life decided it was going to go to shit. By the start of my Junior year I was out of the Air Force and had switched majors to Graphic Design.

It would take me another four years to finish my degree program. I would be working four jobs and taking our loans to repay my scholarship and afford to live at school (and afford school). I would get permit slips from my professors to work in the art building overnight (to do my coursework as my apartment wasn't large enough and I couldn't afford a table of my own). After a decisive event (which will be the subject of another post) I got the fire in my belly and while I didn't graduate with honors (the fallout from the self destructive cycle of my sophomore and junior years) I ended up in the last two years being on the Dean's List at the very least (and in a good way). I made President's List three times.

I didn't take art classes in High School. I had never done much more than cartoons and simple sketches before this. But with hard work and applying myself I excelled in design. It did help that I had interest in the field and a slight aptitude for information architecture. One of the first things I would learn with a new programing language was the output functions (this was in the time before GIU computing) and I would format and label my output.

I changed my life. I paid the price for that change and I worked hard for the change. But I did switch majors and I've had a somewhat successful career so far. So it is possible to do new things and be successful at it.

The other lesson of this was that I wasn't very successful at first. Eventually with that hard work, acceptance of critique, progression of skills, and continuing to learn (heck, I've been a professional visual communications designer for nearly twenty years and I'm still learning new things), I became good at what I choose to do. I can do the same with writing fiction. So can you.

No comments: