I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Set the "Worse" knobs to 11 - novel

With the bad news this week, I just want to say, this is just about what's happening in the novel.

Chapter 17 is done. Again, order of some things gets changed at the end, and in rewrite this will probably go to two chapters. It's currently 2520 words. That brings my total word count to just under 30,000. I'm right in the middle of what I figure the story is, so that's good. First five chapters have been rewritten, so right now I'm thinking this will finish up in the first draft to be about 60-65000 words, second draft to be 70,000-80,000 words. So I'm on track.

They've figured out most of what they're up against, now it comes time to start solving some problems. Of course other problems are just waiting to crop up and complicate matters worse.

My favorite passage of the night's writing (seriously kicked in after 10 oclock).
The room was an oasis guarded by a stout woman knitting a holster and my fellow pilgrims all knew that if it came to it, we would be the ones sent against each other. Until then there was no cause to not be civil. All of us except for Salazar and the woman with the gun were here for the same reason, to share information and pick each others' brains. What I hadn't know is that the others were there for the camaraderie as well. In a city of some half million people, there was only one other than us who had our particular skills. Our profession was a small fraternity.


I'm tired, the light is going, my fingers are cold. Time for bed.

No comments: