I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, August 31, 2009

Political Linkee-poo

Here's an interesting look at the polls regarding healthcare from talking points memo. Pretty much the numbers have moved within the "error" range (3-4 points). Now, that could mean there's a larger move going on (where the original poles back in July recorded the "low" end of the error range, and the new numbers for the end of August range to the high end - but it's just as statistically possible to be the opposite and more than likely these numbers show very little change). And the paragraph near the end on word choice, I think, it very revelatory.

And, the Justice Department dropping it's case of voter intimidation in Philadelphia is troublesome. It's difficult to find actual news about this or any official link. My guess is how it's being portrayed is skewed although without an official press release, it's difficult to gauge why the suit was dropped (or even if it was). Then again, for conservatives to cry foul over the DoJ being politicized is to cry crocodile tears.

And just in case everybody forgot, Recovery.gov. It's the site that gives lie to the "the Stimulus money is being spent in secret." Also, and I don't get out very much these days, I've noticed that I-275 here in Cleveland is being worked on with a bright green sign saying how it's a part of the stimulus money (sign is on the onramp to I-271 South from I-90 East).

2 comments:

vince said...

Seeing stimulus money being spent on highways here as well. Our Republican governor (Tim Pawlenty, whom I have some issues with that have little to do with him being a Republican, but who I nonetheless think has done a pretty good job as governor) had no problems taking stimulus money and putting it to work.

Steve Buchheit said...

Yep, it's one of the fastest way to get money spent. And there's always something that needs paving (I can think of four projects off the top of my head just here in the village). It does appear, however, that we're not going to get any money in the villages and townships (most of it's going to the State and Cities).