I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Playing Leapfrog with the Unicorn

Chapter 21 came at 1259 with plenty of room to grow in the rewrite (will probably be in the 1800-2000 range). That brings my total for draft zero at 34188.

I hear some of you say, "Chapter 21?" Well, yes. I started working tonight to finish up Chapter 20 (I have one or two more scenes, I think, currently at around 1100 words). But then Chapter 21 wouldn't leave me alone, so I finished it up.

Things are coming out of order again, like they normally do. Hopefully we can keep mostly on track as we head into the third act.

2 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Funny how chapters go in novels. Since there are no rules, some chapters are long in some books and some are short.

The novel I just finished has eleven. "That's one more than ten, it's like we go to e-lev-en."

Dr. Phil

Steve Buchheit said...

Dr. Phil, I'm trying to keep all the chapters to under 3000 words (and they vary from 1800-2400 right at the moment). I'm purposely keeping them short to increase the sense of a quick read (at around 75000-80000 for the final - best guess - it should be).