I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Writerly Linkee-poo

Joshua Palmatier talks about planning for non-planning writers (pansters). I've listened a lot to Josh about his writing and I admit that I'm going in his direction (and Brust's and Buckell's and Scalzi's). Even with the current WIP I know there are more stories in there (including the back story) but this book should stand on its own. And I've found that I'm planning like the way Josh explains it (I get a few glimpses into the story, and then figure out how they're connected). And as you've read here, sometimes it doesn't come out the way you thought (those wily characters), but you have the main thrust and hopefully the right outcome. It's just your path that may vary a bit.

And for my money, in that last picture in Josh's post, Mr. Martin doesn't look so much like he's saying "get to work on that series" (which, BTW, having met Mr. Martin, that's probably exactly what he was saying, good guy that he is), but something about now having to shove off to continue to look for that damnable white whale. (It's the hat I'm sure)

Diana Pharaoh Francis has a counter point when she talks about Serializing a Novel which she doesn't think she can do and points to some of the common fail points of doing such. Although, from what I hear, Dickens was a seat-of-the-pants writer which frequently caused him problems with the serialization.

Sam Butler reiterates the best writing advice EVAR! All the other stuff (like my own blogging, but really, can you tell I can blatherate about almost anything and like doing so?) really doesn't mean much if you don't write the next book. Once Bladesman is done (with at least one rewrite), I want to get back to the other novel. And I have another novel after that, and then I might get back to the first novel I tried and get that written. After that, I've got no plans as of yet. Probably will in the three or so years that will take.

And over on the SFWA blog, they talk a little about Reading Aloud. As those of you who have met me, the first two points I have a problem with and so have to intentionally watch myself as my voice is soft (normally), and when I read aloud I go very fast.

No comments: