There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Basics

Since I'm a newbie, I write about writing (do all writers write about writing?) from that perspective. I've been published for non-fiction and I've had some non-paying publishing of poetry and fiction (both long ago). While my newness is getting longish-in-the-tooth, I'm still new. Smell me. See? New author smell. It's just like the new car smell you can get at the car wash.

So, here are some links to a blog I just discovered through the good graces of Justine Larbalestier (who is a nice person anyway, and you should be reading her books and blog as well because she has photos of a Mary Sue t-shirt, that alone should be enough, and, because I guess I'm in to tangential parenthetical statements today, I recently found must have as much fun with people spelling her last name as I have had with mine) which cover the basics of new novel writing and publishing. All of this has been said elsewhere, but she (Diana Peterfreund) pulls it all together and says it nicely. Since I want to publish my novels (you know, after I write them), it's good to have all this collected in one place. She also looks like she has other good advice for writers.

4 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Published writers also write about writing. They even write novels about writers who write about writers writing, writerly.

Nice link. Thanks for posting it.

Steve Buchheit said...

No problem. :)

And Todd is winning with using the most versions of the word "write" in a sentence with devolving into "SpamSpamSpam" (Monty Python) ranting!

Camille Alexa said...

Yeah, but my MS Word spellcheck dictionary contains the word 'Starbucks', but not the word 'writerly'. Sad, sad, sad.

Steve Buchheit said...

You know, LBB, you can train the spellcheckers. :)