I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday Means Donuts

Woohoo! Mmmm, donuts! Donuts brings the Homer Simpson out of me. Personally, I like bagels and cream cheese more, and I think they're healthier for me. Well, without the cream cheese I think they're healthier.

Update: My coworkers are like piranha today. I went down to get a donut and they're all gone. All of them. Not a scrap left.

It's been quiet here of late because I've been working, and only for a paycheck, not the fun kind of work. Sigh. More notes, though. I'm writing down segments of the novel on little pieces of paper. Unfortunately for me, this isn't Whatshisname and Sabine so I'm going to have to type them in and connect the segments. I had a major panic attack the other morning tinged with resignation, which means I've beaten the gremlins for the moment and will get to typing real soon now (I should figure out how much is done and post that word count to start).

Ive also been thinking about Daddy's Little Girl and I think I know how to make it an actual story. The major critique of Crow Boy was last weekend and the most often repeated quote was, "nice mood piece, not exactly a story, yet." I think it's rescuable, and I really did gloss over things. So I need to fill it out and tell a story.

Time, time, it's all about time. I've been falling into bad habits; reading other peoples' blogs and writing comments instead of writing my own blog and stories, wasting time, non-directional thinking, etc. It's like you know you need to get in the shower in the morning 'cause you're going to be late to work, but you just sit on the toilet thinking about how you should have already had the shower and be getting dressed. Maybe it's time to visit a motorcycle shop (one of my immediate goals is to make enough from writing to buy a new bike) to get inspired.

3 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Go get 'em, Steve*. And as you know, both Todd and I will be appearing in Sporty Spec. I'd love to see you there, too! You can do it; get that story in tomorrow! Nothing to lose...

*I wasn't talking doughnuts.

Todd Wheeler said...

No donuts? Not even half a cinnamon one with a bit taken out of it?

Those are hungry co-workers.

Steve Buchheit said...

Nothing. Not even those little pieces of wax paper with bits of cinnamon, powdered sugar, and jelly filling on them that if you're really desparate you can lick. Not that I've ever done that.

I tried, LBB. But events of Friday conspired against me doing anything this weekend.