I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Now WotF is Really Starting to Cap Me Off - Updated

Okay, so, I had a moment at work (well, about an hour's worth of plates) and I'm checking some sites I normally don't check all that often. I go to the Writers of the Future Blog to see if they've announced Second Quarter Writers. Well, the blog quickly runs out, and I hit to see all of June, and there it is. June 1st, finalists announced. I'm not one of them. Am I upset about that? Well, only a little. But what I'm really honkered off about is that it's now June 20th and I still don't have a letter from them!

I mean, if they annouced on June 1st, my guess is the decisions were made late May. Send the damn letters out. So is the blog correct, am I confused about which Qtr my submission is being considered in, or are they sitting on the reject letters? I've done the math a few times, even on my fingers, and I'm pretty sure mine was in 2nd Qtr. It would be awfully nice to know I can send it someplace else now.

Edited 06-21-07 9:00pm Well, I guess there was a reason I was checking to see if they had listed those finalists. When I arrived home, there was the letter postmarked June 19. I received an Honorable Mention (which they say means in the top 10-15% of all entries). So now I have my answers.

Well, at least they've geared back on the SPAM.

3 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Sorry you weren't a finalist. Hon. Mention sounds decent though.

Steve Buchheit said...

Honorable Mention is decent. I would prefer a sale, though, but I'll take it. I've been a finalist twice in the past two years. So this is a little bit of a let down. On the plus side, out of about nine stories submitted the last four saw two finalists and this Honorable Mention. I think that's a measure that I am improving and learning.

Camille Alexa said...

Steve, I think that's a great accomplishment. Congratulations, even if it isn't a full-on sale.