I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rockin' Robin

Fabutronic and all around nice gal, littlebird blue is smokin' and sold another one. Short-shorts again. And the best part (which also makes her rockin') is that she dishes the scoop on the anthology which is still open (for a short time anyway). So, go tell her how wonderful she is and scope out the market opportunity.

If I felt I could squeeze Crow Boy down below 1000 (one of the critique suggestions) I would submit, as the boy ghost plays little boy games, but I think they want something more direct sports related. Hmm, zombie hockey, I got some stuff for that, I think.

3 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Steve!
Thanks for the nicest thing I think I've ever been called (fabutronic). I seriously hope you've got a copyright on that. Seriously.

At just under 1,000 words, I think "Night Vaulting" (my Sporty Spec bit) probably falls closer to 'flash' than to 'short-short', but I don't think I'm able to keep up with the dynamic vernacular of the modern publishing industry.

If you're considering something you've already got, do try. My story is only in a very sideways sense about sports/games, and Karen Romanko has published a very wide range of pieces in the years she's been running Raven Electrick. And she likes dark fantasy & spec. horror, too. Might be a very good fit for something of yours.

Go fo' it!

Steve Buchheit said...

Unfortunately I don't own a copyright on it, it was a phrase my old friend Bruce used often. So, by now, it's common vernacular within a group of people.

One comment was about reducing Crow Boy by 200 words turning it into flash, which as a mood piece it would work better. Unfortunately, that commentor also said he had no idea where to cut the story as it all seemed important and agreed with everybody else that I needed to add much more and include either a revelation or some kind of change. At the very least to explain some things that I glossed over. So, my guess is that Crow Boy will expand (probably 3000 words), which will still make it the shorted story I've writen to date.

Camille Alexa said...

The story's got to be what the story's got to be. We aren't really the drivers, merely the vehicles.