I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Confusion Bound

Tomorrow I'll be heading for Detroit and Confusion to confer, converse, and otherwise hob-nob with my brother and sister wizards. This weekend will also see the coldest weather we've had all year. And, as I remember, that seems to be a constant event for every Confusion. Hmmm.

Last year I had meant to go, but my neck wasn't cooperating and the 4-5 hours drive just wasn't going to happen. Oh, and the next week I lost my job. Fun times.

But this year that won't happen. No it won't. Really, it won't. And while with the editing my neck is feeling a little twinge-y (that might also be because I haven't seen my chiropractor for about a year now), I'm on the programming this year. And that means hell or high water I'll be there.

And, because all the cool kids are doing it, here's my schedule.
Saturday
12:00 PM Salon E
What Happened to the Future? Has the future died as a source of hope? The future used to mean flying cars and space colonies- now it’s the economy of scarcity and doom. What happened? Paolo Bacigalupi (M), Peter V. Brett, Tobias Buckell, Steve Buchheit, Peter Halasz
1:00 PM Salon E
Creating an Effect with Your Writing. Many writers strive to create a certain feeling in the reader with their work. How is this achieved and how does it affect the writing of the story? Sarah Zettel (M), Peter V. Brett, Paul Melko, Catherine Shaffer, Steve Buchheit
4:00 PM Salon G
The book as an artifact of memory in the electronic age. Why do we still want to one own made of paper? ␣Jim Frenkel (m), Anne Harris, Jim Deak, Stephen Leigh, Steve Buchheit, Stephen Haffner, Peter Halasz
9:00 PM Dennison III/IV
Political Correctness Are we politically correct, should we be politically correct, and can we have fun having a non- politically correct discussion about it? Where is the line? When do we as writers ‘cross the line’? What happens when we do cross it? Paolo Bacigalupi (M), Jime Hines, Philip Kaldon, Steve Buchheit
Sunday
10:00 AM Salon E
Science Fiction as a mind altering substance. A discussion about how readers often read genre fiction to make themselves feel certain emotions or to exercise their minds and how writers can create this effect. Paul Melko (M), Jim Frenkel, Steve Buchheit, Lois Gresh, Jim Deak


So if you're in the Detroit area and like SF/F and even a little horror, there are worse ways of spending the weekend. Think about stopping out and saying hi. If not for me, for the other wonderful guests. Confusion is one of my favorite cons, big enough to draw big names (hey, the award winning Cherie Priest and Paolo Bacigalupi will be there this year, not to mention the usual suspects).

4 comments:

Miranda said...

Safe travels and have fun! Here's hoping for a debrief when you get back :)

Steve Buchheit said...

I'll do my best.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Bring lots of Advil or whatever it is your neck needs! See ya there.

Dr. Phil

Anonymous said...

See you there!