I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, January 28, 2011

Linkee-poo takes some exceptions as coupons

Superstars Writing Seminars with an audio of Tracy Hickman on why writers write. It's in the middle of the page. (Grokked from Miranda Suri)

Michael Chabon subbing for Ta-Nehisi Coates gives the best definition of writing and blogging I've seen yet. Yes. This. (pointed out by Dan through Daring Fireball)

On Magical Words they're going through the Hero's Journey. Always a fun time.

edited to add the next two links
The more things change the more the present looks like an aberration. If this Huff article on early 20th century clerical support for abortion services didn't track to history I've already research, I'd say thy had made it up. Unfortunately for reality, the history is real. And unfortunately it seems like we need to learn this lesson all over again. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch on surviving the mid-list predations. It's a long post with links to other articles. I'm not through it yet, but I will read and devour this when I have time. (Grokked from Jay Lake)
end edit

Part of the myths we tell ourselves, and how they can be very hurtful. That's an article commenting on the Giffords' case and how "she's a fighter" and the assumption that will make her better. It's the popular myth about how we should not go gentle into the good night. And the final part of that article shows the logical flaw of such an argument. Grokked from Jay Lake who had his own experience with cancer. I have my own stories of cancer, most of which also break that myth.

Vince makes with the funny. As Lewis Black said, "How could nobody in government see this coming? Everybody with a job could see this depression/recession coming, because somewhere around Nov. 2007, either you said this, or a coworker looked around the cubicle and said, 'Uh, I think we're fucked.'"

The Slactivist weighs in on some of the current idiocy being bandied about regarding abortion activists equating themselves with abolitionists. I could make a meta argument about the previous administration attempting the same thing with the Greatest Generation/WWII and neo-neo-conservatives/libertarians co-oping the Founding Fathers/Revolutionary War. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

And Paul Broun continues in his ignorance. Can somebody buy this guy a clue? I could make this a meta argument about how the right just doesn't understand the words coming out of their mouths. Tie in Sarah Pallin and a few others. No, really you all, grab onto a reality rope cause you're all about to sink into that morass.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Hey Steve, sorry to be away so long but between chasing plagiarists and starting a new web magazine, I've been pulling out what little hair I have left.

Great posting by the way! Now I just have to go read your links!

Nathan said...

Don't know if you've seen this article, but I found it interesting. Maybe I'm seeing things where they don't really exist, but I wouldn't be surprised to see things like this being an impetus to form a separate American Catholic Church.

http://tinyurl.com/4r8kepe

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Rick, no worries, you were off fighting the good fight. Sorry I missed you at Confusion.

Nathan, I didn't see that article, but I have been following the story. I don't believe we're going to see a split, even like what the Anglican's did two (?) years ago. Although I do see more people becoming "lapsed" catholics because of this. And the opinion article you linked to has it right, IMHO. We're witnessing a deep level response to Vatican II (as this is the more conservative side's response).

You can also tie this into the Vatican's recent decision to investigate American nunneries. While the Pope has claimed the investigation will be "in the open," not many of the nuns believe it (as the final work will be done at the Vatican).

IMHO, what we'll see is the role of women in the ministry change (for the worse).