I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Progress, too slow for comfort

Finished editing a few more chapters (and you can see the updated word count). I'm now into the areas that I haven't visited much. On the plus side, things seem to be in pretty good shape (yes, typos abound, and tortured grammar galore). Most changes are in adding plot lines that show up later. Doing the good footwork as it were. I know there's one section I'll have to do a major rewrite on, adding in one or two scenes, but hopefully not much more than that. I think I'm pretty lucky that the story came out pretty coherently the first time through. Lucky, because I read other authors who have to do much more. Maybe it's first timer's luck.

2 comments:

mattw said...

It sounds like you're on pretty good footing; I'm about 40,000 words into the first draft of my current project, and I know there will be many major revisions in my future.

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, well, all the chapters are at level to revision level 2, and I did work up a rough outline of where I wanted everything to go. Also, in my favor, the plot is pretty basic. So it all worked in my favor.

I'm feeling the itch to write the next one (or really, the one before this one). Have to keep my nose to the grindstone now.