I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Linkee-poo keeps climbing back up on the wagon

Lilith Saintcrow on stealing books (about illegal downloading/pirating ebooks). Noted without comment. (grokked from Jay Lake).

Faith Hunter with some notes on how to get noticed at a con. There's a fine line between the lingering gaze of an admirer and the piercing stare of a lunatic. Which, BTW, in case I haven't mentioned it in all the political hashing, I'll be at Confusion this year. I hope to have nothing interfere with that as I'm on the program (make mental note to pic up copy of "Tales Out of Miskatonic University" before panel to flog book I'm in - "lookee, I's a realz righter")

A little window into the fun that is ink on paper. It's difficult to explain why, but doing things like that just turns my knobs to 11. Back from when printing was hard, and more of an art than a science. The best pressmen still know how to do certain tricks, but a lot of that knowledge has been lost to automation and the computer. Hell, I remember in school doing photo collage using a copier (including the "make weird art by scanning objects off the glass").

edited Had to add this because it just blows my mind. Not only do thunderstorms on Earth produce gamma-ray bursts, they also produce positrons. You know, the anti-electron, anti-matter. More proof that the world we live on is stranger than we think. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

2 comments:

Shawn Powers said...

I don't know the author you linked, but emboldening one of my most hated grammatical errors makes me not want to research her stuff. :)

http://picturepush.com/public/4857230

Steve Buchheit said...

Shawn, she was worked up and so forgot herself. :)