I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Linkee-poo jumps, shouts, knocks itself out.

Because they're going around, pictures of happy NY couples. Now if only we can finally sweep away the caustic remnants of DOMA, we'll all have full rights under the law. This news just in, civilization fails to collapse.

Kristen Lamb on not insulting the reader's intelligence. Some oldie but crunchy writer's tips told with a new emphasis. One should not piss off the reader (unless you've sunk the hook deep and are doing it for effect - I'm looking at you Neil Gaiman). (Grokked from Miranda Suri)

A Clarion interview with Jim Butcher. I'm still going through the audiobooks around Harry Dresden. I'm enjoying them immensely. With reading them, I've been asking myself if I need to redesign the world of New Frisco, but I think I'm going to resist that, for the moment. There are some changes I'm going to make, but not major ones. Some people will tell you that while you're writing you shouldn't be reading, and most definitely you shouldn't read works close to what you're writing. I have to call bullshit on that. Maybe if you haven't developed your own voice yet, you might want to. But once you have a strong voice, you better damn well read books close to your own.

The raconteur viewpoint. For the record, Bladesman was intentionally told in first-person raconteur. It allows me to perform tricks that readers apparently like (such as internal dialog remembrances of his master's sayings, which still confuse him, and naming the unnamed cannon fodder after nursery rhymes).

Just in case you're still laboring under the myth that Obama created this fiscal deficit crisis. A handy chart that compares the debt created by President GW Bush and President Obama (with projections out to 2017 for his programs).

Jim Wright gets cranky again. This time he mirrors some comments I made earlier about how the myth of running government like your household. "You cann't spend more than you make," The People™ like to say. "Government needs to learn how to live within its means, just like all of us do." If that were really the case, our debt would be about 4 times larger than it is now.

In case you need any more ammunition to know that Glenn Beck is a complete ass. (Grokked from Teresa Nielson Hayden)

And in other news, so much for the "post-racial" world we live in. Janiece pretty well sums up my thoughts about that. (Grokked from Janiece)

3 comments:

fabutronic sheila said...

Is it just me, or does it seem to you that the GOP/Tea Party pandering to the fringe has emboldened the haters, so that they are no longer keeping as quiet as they had been in prior years?

It amazes me how people who don't even know me will make thinly veiled references to the president and how he is a Muslim and a Kenyan, and then say something to the effect of "someone should go to Washington and do something about that."

Hello? Why do they think that I agree with them because I look white? Does it never occur to them that they might be talking to someone with a friend who's in the Secret Service?

word verification is "billys": Oh, man. I'm not even going to go there!

Nathan said...

On the insulting readers thing: Stephen King uses italics regularly to identify inner dialog. I've always thought it was quite effective. YMMV.

On the Beck thing: It's much ado about nothing. Pretty much every camp (other than strictly sports camps) end up being political in nature. Boy Scouts isn't about patriotism and citizenship? How many over-achieving nerds attend a mock United Nations? I can't get excited over this one. Granted, that may be because Beck's bubble has mostly burst, but...

Steve Buchheit said...

Sheila, no, it's not just you. They attention they've been given has only strengthened their self-importance. And in most cases, the majority of freely given (and meant to be overheard) political conversations are from the conservative side. The whackaloon conservative side.

Same thing with managers discussing politics.

Nathan, in published works it's a bit different. The Beck thing is just as another example of how off the deep end he is.