I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I don't care

When the evening news isn't easily discernible from TZM or Entertainment Tonight there's no point in watching it.

CNN Headline News, you could learn this lesson well. Do you know why viewers are leaving? It's because you're no longer news. There's a percentage of the population that will watch Fox News for no other reason than they agree with their spin. It doesn't matter what they cover, because those people are looking to have their own world view validated. They weren't your audience to begin with. You want me to start watching again? Give me actual news. Not the crap you now have on. I don't need an outraged host, I don't need snide commentary, I don't need the "latest in a case that's been going on for eight months and nobody really knows anything about it," I don't need "activism journalism." I want actual journalism, actual reporting, actual stories. Do that and I might start watching again.

Of course that costs money, doesn't it?

But, in any case, even to all the news organizations, I'm really tired of crap. I don't care about "the latest" on Tiger Woods. He fucked up. We know he fucked up. Does it matter that he fucked up even more? Not so much. Do I care that Accenture (public disclosure, I have relatives who work/worked for Accenture) dropped him like a hot potato? No, not really. The language Gillette used to drop his was interesting because of it's cynicism, not because of them dropping him.

So, enough already. I don't care. This type of news should be on "your website for more info" instead of things like your interview with McCrystal.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I have two TLAs as solutions for you. BBC and NPR.

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Dan, well, you know I like NPR, but for the BBC, let me just say "The BBC Have Your Say."