I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saurday Linkee-poos

Even with the skies trickling down to ground level, I've still got a lot to do today, so only a few links. All of these are form Jay Lake's link salad. There's plenty more cool stuff Jay points to, but I wanted to call out three of them.

Jeremiah Tolbert pretty much experienced what I hope to have happen with the new iPad. When all the other distractions are gone, focusing on the writing comes easily (sort of like how when I had to fly I remembered just how fast I can read when I don't have a hundred other things to do). Could I just buy Scrivener like he did? Sure, but I also want to have this platform more portable than a laptop. I have to haul notes and books, so going to only 1.33lbs is a benefit (as is the thinness).

Some more charts on the reality of taxes in this country. Just as a side note, I believe their last chart (the pie chart) should actually be labeled as "all of government spending" not "budget." How many more times do we need to point this out before people start laughing when conservative politicians start their speechifying on the tax code and how incredibly unfair it is to businesses and the wealthy. How many different ways to we need to add it up and compare it to different indices?

Crooks and Liars on Rick Santorum's latest speech. This guy is the spiritual leader of a movement? Just in case you ever wonder why the rest of us think you all are a little off center, just read this article. Now, I'm sure the rest of his speech was just wonderful. But it's these little nuggets that make the rest of us question his sanity.

Oh, and just a note. I've had three personal experiences with hospice, and one of the women in my class works for them. Dear Conservative Idiots who believe that hospice is killing people or that allowing your loved ones to die in pain is a wonderful virtue. Fuck you.

No comments: