There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Linkee-poo is the abyss staring back at you

Viable Paradise XV is next week?! Here comes Mr. Sandman with his time ray to put a little more chill in my bones.

Writer Beware on Write Agenda. Because you need to know.

Also see this weekend's call to action regarding another plagiarist.

On how not to be a dick while promoting your book. I really hope that promoting a book on my blog, especially when I have a book (how I hope and I pray that I will, but today I'm still just a Bill) won't be disruptive to you all. I'll try not to be as obnoxious as a teen-age boy who just discovered his favorite toy, but I think I'll make sure you know that I 1) finished a book, 2) started and found an agent, 3) made a sale and 4) am in print and you can find me. (Grokked from Stewart Sternberg)

As you'll all now know, grilling (or depending on where you are from, bar-b-que) is a blood sport in my family. Seriously. Ask my neighbors about the time I threw an open house for my family and invited them. They still talk about how everybody was trying to give me advice… at my own grill (charcoal, if you need to know, not propane). So whenever there is news in the field, I'm on it. Like this one. For real bar-b-que (low and slow cooking), there's a plateau of temperature you reach, below the optimal cooking temp (the point where you're reasonably assured you've killed all the pathogens and parasites in the meat). Theories abounded, but now someone has gone out and proved exactly what causes it. The meat sweats. That evaporation causes a cooling, which creates the plateau (the point where it starts is when the meat starts "sweating", and ends when there's no more water to evaporate). Now you know.  There's also tips for getting around it, but it ends up more like grilling. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Solydra, schmolindra. Who cares about political arguments when the money comes to their district. Then, even the voracious anti-porksters.

An NPR story on Oregon's raising taxes on the wealthiest individuals. They only saw $130 million of the $180 million they though they would get. This is interesting when we see that a majority (myself included) think we should tax the rich more. And it won't really have an effect on job creators. Because, dispute what Bill Frezza says at the end of that interview, if the businesses are not in the business of job creation (something I agree with, although Bill is nicer, he eventually admits that a business is in the business of creating value for shareholders, that's after he repeats the "create a high quality product for a low price" mantra, which is BS, it's the former, not the latter), taking them more (which most of whom we're talking about here are not businesses, they're individuals, and they can afford, after all they did all during the 90s). After saying that businesses aren't in the job creation business, Bill then goes on to say, "Oh poor is us, we, the picked on class." Yes, the rich are the disadvantaged here. That's funny, Bill. thanks for that laugh.

The fallacy of the rape in incest exemptions when it comes to anti-abortion laws. For Medicaid recipients, "… I was surprised at how many women were able to finally get their funding: 37 percent…" And the final paragraph nails it, "Rape exceptions are there to relieve anti-choice consciences more than they are there to make sure women in need get abortions." (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: