I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, October 14, 2011

Linkee-poo is a bear of very little brain

Elizabeth talks about a conversation I overheard part of last weekend, the passive voice versus passive language. I try to ban "are/was" in my writing, but sometimes I find it's the only verb that serves. I hope I don't use it often. Although now I'm thinking I should flow my manuscript into one file and do a massive "was hunt". Must resist temptation. That way lies madness.

Abe Lincoln, Ghostbuster. That's a great photo manipulation. (Grokked from Tor.com)

I think I've said it before, the Amish are more complex than you think. Five Amish arrested for breaking into homes and shaving the occupants' beards (this is a very grave insult to an Amish man).

Oh, look, the conservative's job bill includes cutting taxes, drill, baby, drill, and rolling back regulations. Hey, thanks for playing, but this isn't new. Hell, that pretty much sums up the aughts. I wonder if they actually bothered filed off the dates from their 2008, 2009, 2010, and January of this year's plan? Or if they just didn't care enough and thought waving papers around would work? Which, side comment, have you noticed, lately, the fetish surrounding page counts? Not just for legislation, but for all sorts of things. "In a 287 page report…"

The battle over Ohio's Issue 2 (aka repeal of SB 5 - our anti-collective bargaining law) is heating up. The pro-SB 5 side played a little dirty pool lately using images of a great-grandmother talking about firefighter saving her granddaughter. The dirty part was that those clips of her came from an anti-SB 5 commercial, and there were no indications that the pro-SB 5 was commenting on the anti-SB 5 commercial (basically highjacking the video - the great-grandmother was very clear on which side of the issue she was on). Lots of breast beating etc ensued until the TV stations started pulling the pro-SB 5 commercial. IANAL, but once the pro-SB 5 people balked at pulling their commercial, I would have pursued illegal use of image. See, it's fair game if one side snitches the other side's commercial for comment in their own commercial, as long as everyone is clear that's what's happening. But to not acknowledge that, the side doing the snitching would need model releases from the actors. Without such, bingo, violation of the law. And the penalties could be big (although it'll take a few years, which might be why they didn't, but I would recommend the great-grandmother get her own lawyer and look into it).

Some numbers and some charts that relate to why the OWS is going on, and gaining momentum. I'm surprised that the Tea Party isn't supporting the OWS. After all, doesn't the Tea Party want their country back? If you look at those charts, you'll see who ran off with it. Oh, wait, yeah, that wasn't what the TP was all about anyway. Never mind. Okay, so remember when the TP was all about, "Can you hear us now?" Apparently, they're the only ones who want a voice. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Tweet of my heart: @mrbrown: I have discovered how to make $$$ from Facebook! Go to the top-right corner, click on the triangle. Select Log out. Now get back to work.

No comments: