I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Once while swimming cross turtle creek, man them snappers right at my feet

So I'm driving home when this story comes on the radio. That's a story about how those enforcers of vaccines are now peddling the HPV vaccines for boys. And I thought, well now we have a whole new category of people who will refuse to be vaccinated for something. I mean, it's only to help prevent spread of the virus among girls, right (actually, yeah, that is how it is transfered, because boys are dirty - take a shower, slacker, and use soap this time).

And then they hit this fact, HPV can cause penile cancer. Okay, well, it was in the actual radio segment, but it's not on the web page (whatsamatter NPR, have you decided to stop corrupting our youth?). On the webpage they only talk about "genital warts and… cancers of the head and neck, as well as the anus." But I was thinking, "Wow, prevents cancers of the penis, so it won't shrivel up and fall off? They'll be stacked up 3 deep to get the shots."

And then I thought, "ZOMFG! My favorite toy can get cancer? Shoot me now."

Okay, well, yeah I already knew that (although testicular and prostate cancer is more of a problem). And penile cancer turns out to be squamous cell carcinoma, or skin cancer. Just where have you been letting that hang that you're getting too much sunshine there?

But cancers of the head, neck and anus? Umm… Doing it wrong?

(Disclaimer. Yes I know about bi and homosexual men. Yes, cancer is serious. Yes I'm in the high risk group for testicular and prostate cancers due to my Mom having breast cancer and my maternal uncle having prostate cancer. Guess who has two thumbs and probably the genetic disposition for those. Thank you very much. Yes, both men and women should check themselves - or have a partner do it - for breast and testicular/vaginal cancers, boys should get the glove snap and PSA test and girls should get pap smears. Do it for yourself, do it because it's fun - okay, well, maybe not the glove snap or pap smear, YMMV - and do it because it's important.)

No comments: