I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, September 24, 2007

Now with less me.

Had my 90-day doctor's appointment. This was to determine if I needed to go on a highly-restricted and monitored diet (monitored in case I would fall over). As you may know, Bob, I'm insulin resistant (metabolic syndrome). This is an early precursor to diabetes. I begged off the diet three months ago stating my schedule would make such a diet impossible, and that I was feeling different taking metaformin.

Well, today, in the afternoon no less, I weighed 9 pounds less than I did three months ago (1 pound every ten days). Woohoo! So no restricted monitored diet for me. Now I need to do it again around Xmas time.

Pop, it's bad for you. I didn't change much in my life except restrict the pop a little. Now I need to restrict it more, and maybe hike up and down the steps more at work.

2 comments:

Leaf, Branch, Bark & Root said...

Good luck, Steve! Pop/soda/coke, depending on your regional dialect, seems to be the most insidious of addictive substances. The effects of high fructose corn syrup are just plain nasty. It's so easy to just drink one and then get back into the habit of drinking half a case a day. For the past year I've been doing the regular exercise, healthier food & 'stop eating just before you're full'diet. So far, so good. The holidays will be a challenge, since I love to cook, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Steve Buchheit said...

Yep, HFCS is totally bad. And it's very hard to buy products that don't include it (we in the US have a great big sweet tooth that willing to be fed by the food industry that has taken its cues from big tobacco). Yeah, when the doctor said he wanted to see me in another 3 months he then asked, "Do you know why 3-months is important?"

"Um, it's the holidays?"

(Grumpy looking doctor now that I was on to his game).