There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Linkee-poo is back home

Okay, I think I missed posting one of the linkee-poos this week. I'll need to check everywhere it might be to see what happened. Also, just ordered tickets for a play down at Playhouse Square. Each time I do this, the lingering feeling that I've been fleeced after having a jailhouse romance are reasons I don't do this more often. First up is the ordering system that doesn't let me choose the seats (I'm a large guy, sitting in the middle would make a bad experience for me and my neighbors, especially since theaters love to put in small seats, so they can fit more). After $70 a piece for the back of the balcony ($50 second balcony tickets were no longer available, and when I say "back" I mean the last row), then they add the fees on top of it. Including the "shipping and handling" charge… when I have them at "will call" (don't worry, the fee didn't change even if I selected the "print out your own tickets").

Some iPad apps for designers.

Jim Van Pelt on voice. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

John Joseph Adams gets a starred review in Publishers Weekly for Lightspeed: Year One, a compilation of the magazine he edits (and now publishes).

I've never really gotten into LARPs (live-action role-playing), although I find it interesting to see people do it in real life (ie. not a part of a game). But in case you were interested, heres some basic rules of how not to be. What happens inside the LARP, stays inside the LARP. Although some of the problems Michele Reznik points out are basic problems with any gaming group (board games, RPGs, monopoly tournies, scrabble enthusiasts).

Ta-Nehisi Coates takes Rick Perry to task. The more I watch the Republican Primary, the more I see Coates's main point reiterated. The Old Order has collapsed and people who were quite comfortable in their bubble now have to live in the real world. They don't like it and don't want it. For many reasons, including the general denial when world views are shattered, but also because they know the rules they set up were fundamentally unfair for those in the under-class. And now they realize, they may end up there themselves. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Then, of course, it's not just Rick Perry who is living in their own fantasy land, Ricky Santorum believes that nobody has ever died from lack of health insurance. That's not merely living in your own bubble, that's active denial. Newt Gingrich, the history professor, is busy rewriting his own history. Only someone in their own bubble can live two and a half decades in Congress, attain the office of Speaker, engineer the "Republican Revolution", become a highly-paid lobbyist and political commentator for Fox News try to run as an outsider. And if you think the conservatives living in bubbles only affects them, you don't understand their delusions force the rest of us to live in their world. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Erich points out how warped the conservative view of history is. In this case, about how the Minority Leader of the Senate has a complete misunderstanding of what the Constitution really says. Not that I support the movement Mitch McConnell is bashing, but that he should do it on reality based arguments. But that would require the argument about equality.

No comments: