There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Camel Drive

Tobias Buckell points out a very worthy charity, The Camel Book Drive for an actual Camel Train Bookmobile that serves rural Kenyan populations.

I will also include the Adopt a Library.org which has a list of libraries in the US that also accept books (and what they're looking for). Many of these are American Indian Tribal Libraries, but there are also Correctional Facilities and some general rural libraries that would be more than happy to accept your used books (although they ask for them to be in good shape and hopefully current).

I've also donated to local libraries (they can always use good books), and some local libraries will also collect to donate to other libraries (such as those listed on Adopt a Library.org). Sometimes I give money, sometimes it's boxes of books.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

My local library gets all my best recently-pubbed hardcovers for the circulation floor and all my leftover paperbacks and ARCs for their booksale.

Keep up the good work, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Once I get published, I'm so doing that. Although, my local library (as in the one 2 blocks away) they'd probably toss my book, they're that way. I've tried to work with them, and except for using me to leverage the county system as a councilman, they don't want me to help. Most of the books I've given them, even the brand new ones, they've used for their sales.

Now Geauga Libraries, oh my yes. They're going to get several copies (and they have a bitchin SF/F/H collection).

Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks for the links. I'm going to check out adopt-a-library.

We regularly drop books off at the local for their sale. Interesting to see which ones are still there after the used bookdealers sweep through.

The library also has a 'Free!' cart. I've used that for Bookcrossing, which is an interesting concept but the folks in my town really aren't hurting. Another worthy library would be better served.

Steve Buchheit said...

Todd, yeah, I've done bookcrossing a few times. Unfortuantely, in my small town, reading and writing aren't considered important things.

I should mention that I didn't grow up there. That and I'm also getting tired of railing at the "machine" (of that ignorance) right at the moment.