I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mind Numbing Hours

The past three weeks have seen not only record OT work, but also major Village stuff. So basically I've been eating dinner around 9pm each night. Not good for output.

On the plus side, the muse is tapping her foot, waiting for me to get started on the story, so that's what we'll be doing next.

And with winning the ARC, the negative of such is that there is no tracking number I can obsessively check to see where it is. This is unlike Amazon, etc. Yeah, so I'm obsessive compulsive about this one thing, sue me. Anyway, I'll just sit here all twitchy, waiting.

But, on the plus side, I have #492 of John Scalzi's "You're not fooling anybody..." I was the person who snagged the "Only 3 Left" copy on Amazon. I also had a CD that held up shipping.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

You and your tracking numbers, Todd and his spreadsheets...

I feel like I'm missing out here. Not that I'm not obsessive, just can't think of one I'd like to share.

Steve Buchheit said...

Like I've said before, I'm a freak and like to do math in my head to relax. So I like to keep numbers, etc, going all the time.

An example: for the last year I've been tracking my metrics for work. Why is this important? Well, we installed some new equipment that might affect my positions, like if I still have one. So I keep track. Normally I plate about 80-120 plates a week. For the past four weeks I've been averaging around 200 plates. I can point to the client that's driving that. Helps me understand where I should be spending my time and then I have ammo to say to my boss just where I'm spending my time.

Another example: when I play the lottery (yes, the occasionally get a buck or two from me), I run the numbers of how much would be a lumpsum payout, or a yearly payout. Where that money should go (taxes, debt, investment, "spreading around cash," keep everybody happy cash" etc.) Now *that's* a fun time. :)