I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, March 26, 2007

One of those nights

Since I said I would talk about the bits of becoming a writer, I need to talk about this. Last night was one of those crisis moments. I was dead tired. I missed my writers group meeting (and I had a story we were going to critique). And there were two rejection letters this weekend. The gremlins started jeering.

Normally I'm pretty good at ignoring them, but I had given them some good ammo. Why did I think I could be a writer? What the heck am I doing? I'm not dedicated enough or I would have gone to the meeting, flu be damned. I could make more money focusing on the day job. I could have a more satisfactory day job. I could devote more time to the village, to my wife, the my house, to the cat. Just what did I think I was doing except wasting time, energy, and money trying to be a writer?

So I didn't get much sleep, and I still hurt. Damn gremlins. They're quiet now, but I know they're still there. I'll be okay. I'll keep writing. I know I can do this.

On the drive in to work I was thinking about a class mate I had for a fiction writing course. He just didn't get it. His prose was horrible and at best plagerized (yes, and I had to call him on it during critique). And I was wondering if I was acting the same way he did, performing the same function he did in that class, but now I was doing that on a wider stage. Damn gremlins.

5 comments:

Dan said...

A probably hackneyed but useful thing I always tell my students...

You are your own worst critic.

(Trying up my comment quotient.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Yeah. It's one of those things I can push off most times. Rejection letters don't tend to bother me all that much (there's always another market). I think it was the conjunction of all three things (2 letters and not going to the group because I wasn't feeling well).

Camille Alexa said...

Steve,

I don't think it would help to say that the human condition in general is one of struggle and anxiety. I will mention that everyone I know gets the dreads. If someone tells you otherwise, they are either lying or on better medication that any of my friends.

Don't give it up. Not that I think you can; as the great Steven Utley says in his poem "Lust and Compulsion",

Fellow writers scoff
When I tell them, “Writing is
A mental disorder.”
“That’s crazy,” they say.
“Well, answer me, then, could you stop
if you wanted to?”

Steve Buchheit said...

LBB, I can stop anytime I wanna. (hands shake, then a full body shake like I'm possessed with the giant willies).

Well, no, I can't.

Yep, like I said I'll keep writing. Whenever I sit down to write I hear one of the gremlin voices, but I can always shout them down (in my head). Last night it was a little harder to do that.

Yesterday I also was reading a lot of Steven Brust's Dzur. So there was also a little, "man, I wish I could write like this," and I don't think Dzur is his best work.

The bright spot of today was I realized I could send the Pirate Story to Writers of the Future. (insert evil laughter here).

Todd Wheeler said...

Give yourself permission to rest and recover from the flu.

I know, easier said than done.