I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, March 2, 2007

Well, we'll call it a day and see if it goes to its head

Thanks, everybody, for all the well wishes on the story. It certainly made the rest of my day. I feel excellent about it still.

The rest of the day, though, sucked wind. It was so ten times the flavor of suckiness, I get to go into work tomorrow to finish with the suckatude. Even with that, there will probably still be suck left over for Monday.

So believe me, you guys made my day. Give yourselves an "atta boy/girl."

Besides all the work related crap, including several kernel panics (my firsts in four years of using OS X), the incredible disappearing fonts that are installed but the software doesn't want to see them until I restart twice, the multiple "this must be done now" new-to-my-desk jobs, and one client just going crazy bat crap on submitting job work, there was the home stuff with a hot water heater going south (call from Bette), some issues with friends, and some other things I don't want to get into.

But on the plus side, you guys, the request for the full story, I left work while it was still daylight (had to go to Home Depot), and that the water heater was just the pressure value (and good dust cleaning worked), and my wife found copies of Tobias Buckell's book and John Scalzi's Old Man's War at the second hand shop, so I have two books I really like in my collection (both were library reads). Now only if one of my Mega Millions numbers hit (personal and office pools), I'll be set. And it means I get to play fan boy again with two authors I really like (oh yes, you two, I'm comin' at ya with a pen, get ready).

Tomorrow I get to go back to work. On the plus side it'll all be time and a half, and I already have nine hours of overtime this week (I couldn't work more because of council meetings). I'm really looking forward to Sunday.

Oh, and another plus, this month's Ansible is out. Reading it now.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Old Man's War and Crystal Rain! What a scoop!

Steve Buchheit said...

Yep, LBB, my wife is the BEST! She doesn't read blogs, so I'm not just currying favor here. And it was the OMW trade paperback. Tobias' CR was hardcover.

I'm near the end of OMW, mass market paperback from the library. I read CR last year (about this time). And the second hand shop doesn't normally carry books, so they were really under priced.

I think I mentioned before the other books she's picked up for me, including a copy of Those Who Can, which I had been looking for since David Hartwell recommended it.

Camille Alexa said...

I had to temporarily abandon Ragamuffin while I got some important...you know, writing stuff done, but I've just requested and gotten the green light from the GMR editors to review it for an upcoming edition, so I'll get to pick it up again tonight or tomorrow and get it read. I'm looking forward to it.

Steve Buchheit said...

Well, LBB, I'm glad GMR will have a review of Ragamuffin, for both you and Tobias. But halfway through your comment I started to click through to your site to see if I could request the ARC. Sigh. :)