I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, March 19, 2007

Research! Science!

Ah, the last refuge of the eternal procrastinator, I mean, that immensely important function we as writers must make sure we do.

I ran the story by my wife, who knows a little more about the fey than I do (but I'm learning). She was bothered by my choice of fairy to do the nasty work of the story. Right now, the POV we follow for most of the story ends up being hung by one foot from the ceiling (chandelier hook) until he's dead, and then other nastiness may occur.

So, I took to the books. Ah, Katherine Briggs and Brian Froud (also Terri Windling), where would we be with out you? Seems I was right that a brownie can be very nasty when upset. While most of the stories related and cited have the brownie leaving their chosen domicile when offended (offering clothes seems the most common way), there are hints of other actions they may take. There was even a story about a brownie killing to avenge another brownie's life. So, brownies it is.

And I'm not talking the girl scout equivalent of cub scouts, or those fudge-y things with green specs, I'm talking about kicking butt and takin' down names fairies. Don't cha be messing with them.

No comments: