I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Linkee-poo is going to be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender

Ode to a bookstore's death. Borders employees list their grievances.

I want you to look at the plants in your office and shout, "You ain't the boss of me!" Or, another example of "You are what you eat." Plant RNA found in mammals. DNA is the architect, RNA is contractor that builds your house, proteins are the construction workers. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Also more on just how strange the human body can be. Sometimes it isn't your fault you can't lose the weight (or end up gaining it). As an FYI, I know dieters who schedule "cheat days." (also grokked from Jay Lake)

Catherine Shaffer talks about some healthcare issues she saw incidental to her own family healthcare issues. If I told you that I've overheard conversations like this myself, you probably wouldn't believe me. No. Seriously. You know those idiots at the last Republican debate (was it the last one, they seem to have one at the drop of a hat these days), where people cheered the followup question to Ron Paul about letting people without insurance die shouting, "Yeah!" Just think about the problems if you're in the ICU with your fab insurance and credit score, and your nurse is having a migraine because she can't afford (and her crappy healthcare insurance won't cover) her migraine medication.

"I've never felt like I had to back up what people tell me," (Nikki) Haley (new conservative governor of S. Carolina) told the Associated Press. "You assume that you're given good information. And now I'm learning through you guys that I have to be careful before I say something." Eh? Half of applicants fail the drug test, less than 1% fail, what's the diff. Right? But now that she's been corrected, well, hell, that doesn't mean she needs to change her mind. Pshaw. Folks, there's the conservative myth making in process. How long before it's "all the applicants failed"? Just like Michelle Bachmann's "mother in tears over Gardisil and her daughter's mental retardation" (want a quick $10000 with a $1000 kicker, just find that mother!). Or all those people on unemployment who don't want real work. The stories we tell ourselves.

Here's the thing, I'm a small village councilman who is finishing up his 9th year. I learned after the 1st year to verify what people were telling me (including people who should know better). I think, as governor, you'd have a little more moxie on the ball.

Got mine, screw you. Thinks, Brit Hume. I think you would be concerned too as that kind of income inequity leads to social disruption, where most of the haves tend to fair worse then they would paying taxes (say, like in the French Revolution). As for the "dems just want everybody poor," comment, what a load of horse shit. That right there, friends, is class warfare. "I've got my millions, shouldn't you be happy for me?" Yes, we are, but why don't you pay your taxes like the rest of us instead of getting a discount rate (which, BTW, was exactly why the alternative minimum tax was created and what Warren Buffet is talking about).

Eric pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the whole Santorum googlebomb. And he has cute cat pictures. Ah, cats. Rick's main complaint, "someone said mean things about me, and he's more popular than I." Considering the things were a response to an attack on the person who made the googlebomb, I don't have any sympathy here. Dude, for reals, the internet is not under your control. Or the government's control. His, "but this wouldn't happen to Biden," as Eric says, is because Biden is a nice guy for the most part. Also, given the vitriol spilled over him and Obama (racist emails which embarrass someone almost every month now, instead of every week, birthers, etc) you don't see sections of the internet going dark over that. Grow a pair, Rick, and join us in the adult world. Okay, maybe a bad metaphor here.

No comments: