I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, December 21, 2008

1 Degree from Happy Solstice, forecast of sporadic blogging

Hey, the outside temperature is frightful. Just drove home in the drifting snow and 1 degree of Fahrenheit. Bette tells me the house has been a popping all night. There were little kitty prints out in the snow, so we left some food out (hopefully the raccoons won't get to it). It's been over a week since we've seen the little calico cat. I hope she's okay.

Anyway, Happy Solstice (a day late). Also happy Apollo 8th launch date, 40 years ago yesterday (Sunday) we launched the first manned craft to leave the Earth. Apollo 8 didn't land on the moon, but did orbit before returning to Earth.

Also, a joyous holiday of light for whichever persuasion you wish to observe this time of year.

This holiday season sees something strange in my life. With time off, holiday time, and plant closing (for one extra day, and I was able to use another vacation day) I will be off work for more than a week. Other than losing my job (happened twice) I've never had this. Granted it's only (if you include weekends) 10 days, but still. That's a long time for me. I might forget my door access code (well, not, I have it on a cheat card in my wallet, just a list of numbers with no explanation, I know where they go). But with that time off, I will be spending some of it with family (mine and Bette's) so expect sporadic blogging.

Keep warm, keep safe, enjoy yourselves and whom you're with and when it all goes pear-shaped, it's only two weeks until it's all over and you can ignore them again. The Holidays come once a year, and we're all grateful for it. Also, a Christmas Carol is not about Tiny Tim, and The Nutcracker is not about the nutcracker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course not. A Christmas Carol is all about Ralphie and the Red Rider BB Gun. Oh wait, that's A Christmas Story. I like that one better anyway.

Steve Buchheit said...

Todd, well, don't tell my wife, but I got her the widescreen version of that. And we're only about a half hour away from the Christmas Story House.