I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blagojevich, Bye Bye

Rod, let's have a little confab. You look pretty young, so I don't think you understand this, but pretty much your entire press conference was a cliche. Really, only bad writers would do something like that. Because every single guilty politician has used exactly the same script.

Your credibility has hit the ground and now it's digging deeper. No, I don't give a crap, dude. Time to go. Pack the bags and shuffle off.

See, not only at the press conference did you again say that your story isn't out there, you refused to tell your story. And if "Truth" is your ally you don't refuse to answer questions. You invite questions. You stay and answer all the questions until you collapse or the questions stop. Really.

"You'll answer all the questions in the proper place and time"? Just write "GUILTY" on your forehead in mascara and for good measure point to it every chance you get.

What? Is there a script out there for politicians charged and guilty with graft? It seems so. Everything you said hit all the high points. And like I said, if I had to write a character in your position, that press conference would have gone a completely different way. Only characters in bad fiction say what you did.

2 comments:

vince said...

As a lawyer on TV (I think it was on CNN) pointed out, if you have a high-profile client and the client feels they must say something, the gov said just what a lawyer would want them to say - which is basically nothing beyond "I'm innocent."

But I guess ol' Rod likes to quote the Kipling poem a lot. And given that he wasn't going to say anything beyond what he said, I don't know why he bothered to have that 5 minute moment at all.

Sadly I think here's another high-profile case of "I didn't do it!" that will turn into "oh yes you did", with the requisite public play-out and ultimate humiliation. Not to mention how it will interfere with his ability to govern at a time when that ability is most critical.

Crap.

Steve Buchheit said...

Vince, yeah, like I said, it's like there's this script out there. You'd think they would try and change it up a little. As for the Kipling poem, it didn't end very well for the person Kipling was writing about, so it's a little ironic how often it's used in a defense. I keep wondering, just who else is losing their heads? Pretty much looks like just him and his chief of staff that will me losing theirs. Everybody else's head is staying where there are.

And yeah, for wanting to only "serve" the Illinois people, he's not going to be able to do that job.