There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Friday, December 12, 2008

Five Not-So Random Link Post

(Cross posted on Genre Bender)

Justine Larbalestier has a few things to say on the need to prefect your craft. I'll reiterate here a comment I made there, in every thing you try in life you'll eventually reach a point where it becomes hard. What you do at that point determines what you really love, and what should just be a hobby. For, that point concerning writing came eight years ago. It was at that point I figured "If I'm going to do this writing thing, I need to really work at it." I could have kept at the same level I was, I enjoyed telling myself and my friends the little stories. But if I hadn't made that determination to "go beyond" and start putting more energy and start sacrificing other things, I wouldn't be close to being published now.

K. Tempest Bradford is guest blogging over at Jeff VanderMeer's Ecstatic Days and she has some words for genre fiction writers who maybe thinking about including rape, sexual retrograde mores, being ironic about the same, and how being a feminist does not automatically make your writing feminist. On her own blog she's gone off on many things that (IMHO) don't deserve the attention her vehemence brings, however she's spot on with this criticisms.

Diana Peterfreund talk about bad and good books and some writerly response. You need to read.

Matt Jarpe links back to his 5 Writing Lessons he wished he'd learn the easy way. We all feel that pain, Matt. We all do.

Dave Klecha clues us in on making advice too cliche-ish instead of helpful. And yeah, a lot of advice comes into this realm. He also reminds us, that not all advice works for everybody.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Tempest's post--I'd missed that.

Steve Buchheit said...

No worries, Mer. That's why we're here. :) This is one of her rants that I completely agree with, and I agree it should be a big thing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve Buchheit said...

Anon spammer, no, don't worry about being off topic. You should apologize for the (incompetent) spamming, though. However, I grow tired of this. You do understand I track IPs, right?