I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cause I'm being followed by a moonshadow

When I purchased my new digital camera I wanted to be able to take low light pictures, mostly for one major purpose. To be able to photograph the moon shadows we get in our back yard. What I'd really like in a digital camera is both a full manual setting, aperture settings of at least f64, manual focus, focal depth, and a "bulb" exposure setting (here I'm thinking only a Digital SLR will work, but even those don't fit the bill, really, until you get to buying a digital back for a standard camera, there's not much out there, and that rig starts at the $1000 level). So I went Nikon, which was the closest. It doesn't have enough capability to capture the summer dappled moon shadows, but I had hopes for snow. As you know, Bob, last night was the full moon, and as I am of a certain age, I was up at five am.

This is what it looked like out my bedroom window.

Well, it's more light in my eyes. Which is why I want to be able to hit bulb and allow the image to build on the CCD just like I've done with film.

And here is the culprit of the scene.

Yeah, sometimes I just look outside for a few minutes before trying to get back to sleep.

5 comments:

Rick said...

Hey, you could turn out to be pretty good at this photograpy thing! That last photo looked pretty eerie. Hey, are you going to Confusion?

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Rick, well, I was three credits short of a photography minor.

And yep, I'll be there. I haven't posted on it yet, but I'm on the program. Should be interesting.

Rick said...

I might attend this one just for fun and to support you, though William suggested I try and get on a few panels. However, if one of us has to sit in the audience and applaud, I'm applying for that job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Steve!

Steve Buchheit said...

It's the major reason we bought the place. Had a conversation with Bette about the possibility of the government offering 4.5% loans, but only on new purchases. Her major requirement, two stories and trees, so it'll be just like a tree-house. If it weren't for the back yard, I don't think we would have considered this house.