I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rejection in Emerald

The fantabulous writer and fiction editor for Fantasy Magazine, Cat Rambo, sends word that she passing on A History of Lightning. She doesn't give a reason, and you know, she doesn't have to. As I've said before, she's the editor. If the story doesn't work for her and/or her magazine's readers, that's all that necessary to reject a story. Fair cop.

She did say that she enjoyed it. If that's her just being nice because in my cover letter I did casually mention we had served on a panel together, did I say before that Cat is a genuinely nice person, it's okay. In the little fantasy world in my head, I'm going with that she actually did enjoy the story.

And, a personal rejection letter from the editor, I believe that's a three-pointer (yeah, yeah, it's March Madness, what can I do about it). So, score!

When I get home tonight, I'll send her a thank you email before I go back to the salt mines of Duotrope and Ralans. I wonder if Weird Tales is open again?

No comments: