I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I think it was called "tough self love"

Mary Robinette Kowel helps distill down an editorial to its essence. And it's a good reminder to just STFU and do it.

Here's the full editorial by Beth Wodzinski (editor of Shimmer) over at Apex's Blog.

This is part of why I agreed to do things. Village Council, Ruritans, Cajun Sushi Hamsters, and other things. All because some times you have to just say, WTF. And yes, I say that putting on Ray Bans (you know, or you don't, don't make me explain it). Take the leap. Sometimes you splat, sometimes you figure out how to fly. After a time you get better at flying.

Given how low my word outputage (yeah, I made that up) of these past few days has been, with the current leap there's a high probability I may splat. Add in the day job shakiness and it may be a big, expensive splat. But you never get the brass ring riding safely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth's cool.

Steve Buchheit said...

I met her briefly at World Fantasy in NY. She seemed very cool. And I drank her alcohol. So, you know, there's a bond. Or debt. Or something. :)