I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me

Today was exceptionally busy. And it looked like yesterday was also busy at the day thing. Now, we've had these before only to have the next day be kind of a waste (for work billing related projects). But I'm hoping we're seeing a trend. Especially since we don't have a layoff schedule for next week yet! Argh! How am I supposed to plan my interviews health appointments when I don't know when I'll have the day off? I mean, if I have next Friday off, I could call my doctor's office and schedule the appointment earlier (like they normally call me the day before to try and get done). I could beat them to the punch!

Anyway, I've been writing. Not a lot, like 5000 words a day, but constantly and whenever I can sneak in a few moments. I have pages of notes I've taken at work, doing a basic outline, defining the Three Act Structure (yeah! it has one), getting in the details, figuring out just WTF is supposed to happen how and when, and... ooo, something shiny. Oh wait, no, must focus. Today the crisis hit. That feeling of, "What am I doing?! I can't do this! It's impossible! I'm gonna kill myself trying this." Not a fun time. Bu tI suffered in silence at work. Or, at least the machinery was loud enough nobody heard me whimpering.

Last night I went through Chapter 1 and it was decent. Not spectacular, but you know, I don't think it was as full of suckatude as I thought it maybe. I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 where we meet the Boss, and get a feeling for what where up against. And yeah, I blows it out of the water at the end of Act 1 and 2. That's what we do as authors. As Jim Hines says, when asked if he ever wanted to hang out with his characters he doesn't think that would be a a good idea. Jig (a goblin and the protagonist of three of his novels) would probably knife him as soon as expedient because of what Jim puts him through. So my main character is going to have two main plot areas where he realizes he's in a deeper and smellier dung pile than he thought he was. And he nearly dies in the first chapter. Things go from bad to worse, cycle repeats.

We had our trees taken down on Tuesday, so my yard is full of wood, wood chips, and sawdust. I've made a very little dent these past three nights. Yes, I have pictures, but I haven't had time to download them yet. Maybe this weekend.

I also haven't gotten my RSS feeds reuploaded at work, so I know I'm missing a whole passel (hey, I just figured out how to spell that correctly on the first try, yeah me!) of posts and am living a less enriching life without my contacts with you all. Hopefully soon that will be rectified.

Also, because I did it again, I need to kill the adverbs in the book. And my first sentence has a doozey. So back to the wood pile.

And in political news, I found it very funny and somewhat sad that Fox News is pointing to the DOJ action today and then pointing to the President and saying how it's a vote of no-confidence in his presidency and the health debate today, when, you know, every other news organization is talking about how GM might fail, even in bankruptcy, how Citibank is trading around $1, and GE is going under. Clue bat to Fox News. There's a reason you "don't hear this kind of news anywhere else." Yeah, when you pull it out of your kesiter like that, nobody but you wants to hold it. Just saying.

No comments: