There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Sunday, March 1, 2009

BZZZZT! But thanks for playing.

As some of you know, one of the books I'm writing deals with the end-times, so when something comes on TV concerning that topic I like to give it a listen. Well, as I was finishing up the work today (boy, did that take longer than expected), there was a History Channel show on Nostradamus, the infamous bogey man of end-day prophesy, and 2012, the current fab fannish obsession*. Well, I wasn't watching, I was over here at the table working when I hear one of the commentators talk about how, you know, it's all coming down to crunch time; 2012, Revelations**, biblical prophecy and because the Jewish religion also believes the world will end in their year 7000.

Which was the "WTF?!" moment. Um, hey, I'm pretty hip to these things and that's the first I've heard of that. Granted, I'm no Talmudic Scholar, but I think I would have come across such a thing before this.

And the year 7000 in the Jewish Calendar is some 1200+ years away. Yeah, over a millennium away. And we're in crunch time with 2012? As Bill Engval might say, "Here's your sign."

* No, it's not their "catastrophe prediction of end-times," it's a super reset of their calendar cycle. There are dire warnings in their texts about this next cycle, but the world goes on, just as it has 4 times before according to their accounting. Also, most of their 12 year cycles have forboding messages. Remember, these are people who felt they needed to sacrifice the still beating hearts of their prize citizens to keep the sun moving through the sky. You know, they weren't about happiness and daisies if you know what I mean.

** Actually, when you know what you're talking about, according to Revelation as revealed by St. John the Divine, we are already in the "end-times." I could go through the whole proof, but I'm tired at the moment. Let's just say that the Beast/Anti-Christ was the Roman Emperor. Domitian if memory serves, although Hadrian is also sticking in my head. In either case they are both long dead.

2 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

I think it was Hadrian.

But I could be wrong.

Steve Buchheit said...

It's ringing more true the more I think about it.

Also, I am thinking there is something about the year 7000, but I also seem to remember that it's not exactly an actual thing, just sort of an interpretation.