There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Word Count Fail

Okay, so when I agreed to do the novel critique workshop I figured I could get 30-45,000 words out by the time of my extended deadline (and then finish before the event). And given my progress at the beginning, I was pretty confident I would make it. That I would get somewhere in the middle of the second act (story "feels" like it needs 90,000 words or so, a descent size for a first novel) was doable. And then the whole day thing went pear shaped. Currently I have 13500 words out and in at least first draft form (although not completely edited let alone scrubbed to the point that I would normally have a story critiqued). And I'm on my way to another 1500 or so words that I should have ready for tomorrow. So only 15,000 words, half my lower level (insert cussing and kicking dirt over home-plate and on the shoes of the umpire).

And as you can see my word count here (and an Genre Bender) has been lacking.

On other news, why is it with the online application processes I have to have a loggin and account with each employer's site, agree to their terms, and all that other stuff. Really gosh-darn-annoying people. This is like having to have an account to get basic information about companies that you've bought their stuff. I shouldn't have to register. I appreciate that you feel you need to have "security," but there is a point where the security works because you keep people from using whatever you're securing. Like you keep a stadium secure by not letting anybody in the gates.

2 comments:

vince said...

It's really not about security, yiou know. It's about getting all those details for marketing ans selling purposes. That's why, if I'm not actually buying something, I make up stuff to screw with there databases.

It makes me happy.

Steve Buchheit said...

Vince, yeah, I also tend to give various marketing places random data. I consider it my professional prerogative. In this case, though, I had to be a good boy. What I really hated was re-entering all my data (actually verifying that their HR parser was working correctly).