There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rollercoaster of something or other

This week has been up and down. I'm trying to see the path forward and have been unable to see it. This Sunday we have a Union meeting, things might be clearer after that.

I've been lobbied to beg for my job, but I haven't come up with an argument that convinces myself (if they haven't seen that it's leveled off, and the highs they're comparing to had the massive overtime in them). Until today talking with a coworker. They had a good angle that I'm going to try if I get the chance.

One of the main problems I have with arguing for my job is that I'd be screwing another coworker out of their job, and I don't think I'm that kind of guy. Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not that guy. I don't have it bad, it could be a lot worse. But I'm not sure just how many months I can hold out. The best news I found was that I'll be eligible for the recovery plan help with COBRA premiums (we pay only 35%). We'll see.

I keep reminding myself that I need to keep positive. It appears the the economy (as relative to DJI Index and orders coming it) had hit bottom last week. Now if only it turns around fast enough. According to the news, durable goods orders have gone up, what was a parts oversupply in November has flipped, and there seems to be an actual plan that might have an actual effect on the economy in place. Here's hoping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it has come down to that kind of choice. Hope whatever path you take leads to a better situation.

David Klecha said...

Ugh, Steve, that sucks.

I've been pretty hopeful myself with the apparent turnaround indicators. I'm hoping we can hang until the turnaround gains some traction. It's been a near thing for us, I know.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Todd.

Dave, yeah, a lot of people are in a similar place.

This past week I got a number of pep talks from people. I'm trying to keep up my hope. I think it comes from not having a lot of money growing up. I finally had some security. It was part of the hard decision to replace the furnace this past fall (and all the times I spend a lot of money). We could do it, but it removed some of that security net. Wasn't an easy decision. Next time will be even worse.