I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Today's catch of writing

Finished Chapter Four, but didn't go over it more than once. Have parts of chapter five and something that may end up as the start of Act II that was a bunch of back-story that came flooding out and I had to get rid of to think about what I was doing. So probably around 2000 words so far. I want to continue as long as I can with Chapter five before going to bed (although I am almost done with Brust's Jhegaala and want to get through that this weekend, it's calling to me form the bedroom).

So as a boon to all those who are still wondering just what the heck I'm writing. Here is a sample that just came out.

"When Mr. Hernandez asks you to work on a weekend you say, 'Yes, sir.'," she said back. "Besides, Kevin has the kids out at the zoo, so other than a sunburn I'm not missing much." She reached over and pressed the button that called the elevator and waved me passed.

"You have something against zoos?" I said as I walked passed her desk.

She sighed, "One broke my heart when I was a young girl."

The elevator's bell sounded louder in the almost empty lobby as the doors opened. "You aren't still a young girl? I'm disillusioned," I teased.

"Younger than you, maybe," she said before the doors closed.

"Ouch," I said to the closed doors and the elevators lifted my sunken esteem to the fourth floor.

No comments: